Sunday, September 1, 2019

Picture Prompt: A Female Study - John William Waterhouse


A ghost haunts me, the ghost of the man I'd loved and lost. 

This could not be real, of course not. I'd been asleep, dreaming distantly of traumas past. How could this be? How could he possibly be with me in any way, any form at all? 

A demon! A demon of Hellish origin, come to claim my soul in the form of one trusted and beloved! I'd not allow him passage to my spirit, I'd not let him! I will not be deceived! I will not--

He grabs me somehow, in this barely corporeal form. He grabs my hands and stares deep into my eyes. I can see his mouth motioning for words, word I cannot hear. He tries to speak but he cannot make the sound! He is trapped. Trapped between now and the hereafter in his own personal hell, forced to witness life, unable to partake in its beauty...

I gaze back at him, choking back a sob. I clutch his hands as best as possible, my own grasp shaking violently, my own thoughts deeply and truly troubled to the core.

My God... could it be him...? Could it possibly be?

"William?," I ask. 

He vanishes into shapeless vapor that ekes between my fingers far too slowly. My heart remains suspended in time, suspended in that moment just before dissipation. 

"W-what...?"

The silence is so much louder than it was just a moment ago, so much more overwhelming... 

My William is gone once more. 

He had something to tell me...

A ghost haunts me.

The memory of his death, a shapeless morbid vapor that clings to the flesh, haunts me. 

And only my own end will have it cease. - Evelyn Raczynski

No comments:

Post a Comment